We are passionate about conducting research that drives the future of the coaching profession. Working with faculty across colleges, FSU Athletics, and organizations external to the university, we have and continue to develop research and grant funding that provides a direct impact on the coaching profession.
We also work with organizations external to support their coaching development needs, whether through research or education. Examples include providing educational clinics, evaluating and assisting coaching staff with expert content, or creating educational materials.
Recent examples of research and other projects completed by members of the Center (in bold) include:
- Development, implementation, and evaluation of the Orientation for International Student Athletes (OISA). This is a grant project with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) to develop a college course specifically for international student athletes entering the US education system.
- Development of a camp-based activity curriculum for youth wrestlers. This was a grant through the National Wrestling Hall of Fame to develop programming that incorporated educational material across school subjects (e.g., match, science, English, art) into a wrestling camp program.
- Baghurst, T. (Ed.). (in press, 2019). Fundamentals of coaching for sports performance. London: Routledge.
- Tapps, T., Dorrel, B., Symonds, M., & Baghurst, T. (Eds.). (Completed, to be published 2019). Health and wellness: A practical workbook. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
- Baghurst, T., & DeFreitas, J. (2017). Writing and publishing research in kinesiology, health, and sports science. London: Routledge.
- Holden, S., & Baghurst, T. (2016). Sports nutrition: A youth coach’s guide to optimal performance. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers.
Research and Writing
- Baghurst, T., Prewitt, S., & Tapps, T. (2019). Physiological demands of Extreme Obstacle Course racing: A case study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16(16), 2879. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16162879
- Nicholls, A., Levy, A. Meir, R., Santuary, C., Jones, L., Baghurst, T., … Perry, J. (2019). The development and validation of the Adolescent Sport Drug Inventory (ASDI) among athletes from four continents. Psychological Assessment, 0, pp-pp. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/pas0000750
- Anthony, C., & Baghurst, T. (2019). Strength and conditioning considerations for racquetball athletes. Strength & Conditioning Journal, 0, 0-0. https://journals.lww.com/nsca-scj/Fulltext/2019/06000/Strength_and_Conditioning_Considerations_for.2.aspx
- Kensinger, W., Barney, D., Baghurst, T., Tapps, T., & Divin, A. (2018). Barriers that affect African-American female college students from using the campus exercise and wellness facility. Asian Journal of Physical Education and Recreation, 24, 6-12.
- Clark, J., & Baghurst, T., & Redus, B. (2018). Self-selected motivational music on the perceived exertion of runners. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, Epub ahead of print. https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/publishahead/Self_Selected_Motivational_Music_on_the.95037.aspx
- Baghurst, T., Ghafari, M., & Anthony, C. (2019). Daily physical activity levels between university students of different majors. PHEnex Journal, 10(2), 1-14. http://ojs.acadiau.ca/index.php/phenex/article/view/1883
- Boolani, A., Lackman, J., Baghurst, T., LaRue, J., & Smith, M. (2019). Impact of positive and negative motivation and music on jump shot efficiency of college basketball players. International Journal of Exercise Science, 12, 100-110. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6355135/
- Griffo, J., Jensen, M., Anthony, C., Baghurst, T., & Kulinna, P. (2019). A decade of research literature in sports coaching (2005-2015). International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching, 0, 1-11. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1747954118825058
- Hernandez-Sarabia, J., Baghurst, T., DeFreitas, J., & Barrera-Curiel, A. (2018). Influence of racquetball rule modification on energy expenditure and heart rate in amateur players. Journal of Sport Pedagogy & Research, 4, 27-35. http://www.ipg.pt/scpd/files/14%20-%20JSPR%20-%20(2018).pdf
- Holden, S., & Baghurst, T. (2018). Ten practical strategies coaches can use to teach nutrition to their athletes. Strategies, 31, 34-41. https://doi.org/10.1080/08924562.2018.1515681
- Baghurst, T., Fiaud, V., Tapps, T., & LaGasse, A. (2018). Considerations when coaching the international athlete. International Journal of Kinesiology in Higher Education, 2, 76-86. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/24711616.2018.1425936
- Holden, S., & Baghurst, T. (2018). Considerations when choosing an activity tracking device. Strategies, 31(3), 54-56. https://doi.org/10.1080/08924562.2018.1445891
- Baghurst, T., DeFreitas, J., & Hernandez-Sarabia, J. (2018). Factors that affect winning in international racquetball: Findings from the 2015 Pan American Games. Journal of Contemporary Athletics, 12(2), 1-8. https://www.questia.com/library/journal/1P4-2189505510/factors-that-affect-winning-in-international-racquetball
- Liu, S., Bradley, M., & Baghurst, T. (2018). Female roller derby athletes’ athletic identity and their systematic pursuit of leisure. Journal of Amateur Sport, 4(1), 108-128. https://journals.ku.edu/jams/article/view/6702
- Baghurst, T. (2018). Anti-doping knowledge of junior international racquetball athletes. International Public Health Journal, 10(1), 105-111.